15. From Vallouise to L’Argentière-la-Bessée via Col de la Pousterle (stage of the GR 54)
"It was not for nothing that Vallouise was voted ""the most beautiful village in the southern Alps""! Each little street, decorated with flowers, is an invitation for a stroll, and today is the last stage on this great adventure. These are two good reasons to take your time and walk slowly up Col de La Pousterle through the charming mountain villages of the Prés. The Pousterle refuge is an ideal place for reflection, before you return down to the Fournel valley and L'Argentière-la-Bessée, ending the journey on a high note!"
From Place de la Fontaine in Vallouise (1 170 m), opposite the church, take the road on the left towards the Aiglière gîte.
- Pass the medieval oven and, at the next intersection, take Les Horts route on the left towards Pont Gérendoine (on the right is the GR54 route via Col de l'Aup Martin). The road passes through the orchards. After the campsite, turn left and go past the bridge (1 164 m).
- Continue along the road to Puy-Saint-Vincent and at the first hairpin turn, take the path as far as Les Alberts (1 380 m).
- Then turn right onto the road again and left at the roundabout towards Les Prés. Continuing along the road, pass under the departure point of the ski resort ski-lifts to reach Place des Prés. Opposite, on the right, the road passing in front of Maison Gautier leads to the Col de La Pousterle footpath along the cowpath.
- After crossing Prey d'Aval and Prey du Milieu, you arrive at Prey d'Amont along the footpath under the power line. It cuts across the bends in the road that can be seen in Prey d'Amont (1 629 m).
- Walk along the road and then, before the ascent to the mountain pass, follow the footpath that cuts across the bends in the road to reach the plateau and the vast Col de la Pousterle (1 763 m). Cross the plateau as far as its southern tip to reach La Pousterle gîte (1 750 m). Pass the refuge on the right and go down into the Fournel valley along the track and some shortcuts on the footpath. Pass the houses in Les Clausas and stay on the left-hand footpath (to the right is the Pas de La Cavale) as far as the bridge over the Fournel (1 350 m).
- Cross the mountain stream and follow the footpath along the right bank. It arrives at a route crossing a footbridge (EDF). Pass the Sapey bridge on the left and continue along the footpath in the Bois de Champ Pelbaud. Go past the footpaths leading to Col d'Anon and descend towards L'Argentière across the Magdeleine bridge (998 m).
- Turn right onto Rue du Château, which runs past the Silver Mine Museum. Then follow Avenue C.-de-Gaulle as far as L'Argentière-les-Ecrins station (990 m).
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: